ATLANTA, June 9, 2010- With Independence Day a mere month away Okabashi, a family owned local shoe manufacturing company, reflects on how it has beaten the odds & thrived for more than 25 years.
With production based just 40 miles north of Atlanta, Okabashi remains committed to keeping all of its manufacturing and distribution functions in the US. Today only less than 2% of shoes sold in the US are manufactured here, and this trend has decimated the shoe manufacturing industry over the past two decades. Okabashi has bucked this trend and produced a domestic product that outperforms overseas competition on design, durability and value.
“We have been fortunate in being able to take the long view,” said Bahman Irvani, President and CEO. “Okabashi has strived and succeeded in delivering what we internally call an ‘Honest’ product. This means that our consumers have ended up getting more than what they pay for and what they expect. This we have achieved by working hard on design and focusing on shoes with extraordinary footbeds.”
- Okabashi employees over 250 full time and factory employees in its Buford plant.
- Okabashi shoes travel an average of 700 miles, compared to imported shoes, which travel an average of 11,600 miles to get to the average US home. This means a huge reduction in the carbon footprint of the product.
- Through Okabashi, many other local suppliers and businesses survive and prosper.
- Okabashi has created a substantial following for its products in the US, having manufactured and sold over 30 million pairs, with many of its consumers having purchased multiple pairs.
- Okabashi stands behind the quality of its products by offering a two year guarantee
About Okabashi Brands, Inc.
All Okabashi footwear is designed with a massaging insole, superior arch support and ergonomic foot beds. For environmental wellness, Okabashi operates a clean manufacturing facility, which only produces 100% recyclable shoes. Customers can find men’s, women’s and kid’s shoes in a variety of styles and colors. Shoe collections include flip-flops, casual slides, mid-heels sandals and clogs. All Okabashi shoes are sold at under $20 retail.